Coaching Conversations for Life Coaches
In the midst of uncertainty and chaos, more and more people are seeking personal and professional support from experienced professional life coaches. This practical guide gives professional life coaches techniques to deepen and broaden the coaching experience. Life coaches will learn how to partner more effectively with their clients and move their coaching conversations from the “what” into the “who.”
Techniques to Deepen and Broaden the Coaching Experience
In this book, ICF MCC, Laurie Cozart offers examples of powerful coaching conversations that help clients overcome limitations, increase focus, and produce results in their personal and professional lives. Whether you are beginning your coaching practice or an experienced coach, this book with help you add deeper exploration to your coaching and offer new ways to support your coaching clients.
This book aligns with the International Coaching Federations’ 8 Core Competencies and gives a systemic and holistic view of partnering with clients on a deeper level:
- Demonstrates Ethical Practice – Understands and consistently applies coaching ethics and standards of coaching.
- Embodies a Coaching Mindset – Develops and maintains a mindset that is open, curious, flexible, and client-centered.
- Establishes and Maintains Agreements – Partners with the client and relevant stakeholders to create clear agreements about the coaching relationship, process, plans, and goals. Establishes agreements for the overall coaching engagement as well as those for each coaching session.
- Cultivates Trust and Safety – Partners with the client to create a safe, supportive environment that allows the client to share freely. Maintains a relationship of mutual respect and trust.
- Maintains Presence – Is fully conscious and present with the client, employing a style that is open, flexible, grounded, and confident.
- Listens Actively – Focuses on what the client is and is not saying to fully understand what is being communicated in the context of the client systems and to support client self-expression.
- Evokes Awareness – Facilitates client insight and learning by using tools and techniques such as powerful questioning, silence, metaphor, or analogy.
- Facilitates Client Growth – Partners with the client to transform learning and insight into action. Promotes client autonomy in the coaching process.
About Laurie Cozart
Laurie Cozart is an International Coaching Federation, Master Certified Coach (MCC), a certified ICF Mentor Coach, a certified Coach Supervisor, and President of the ICF Sacramento Charter Chapter passionate about helping life coaches connect to their deepest identity as a coach, tap into their coaching talents, and deepen and broaden their “Coaching Conversations,” while also working with companies to create intentional leadership impact and be thoughtful about the ripple effect they have on others.
Laurie is the Founder and CEO of Brain Squared Solutions Inc., an organization dedicated to using neuroscience to help managers and leaders create thriving organizational cultures that inspire innovation and collaboration.
She has also been an Executive Coach and Leadership Development Instructor for the University of California at Davis Extension for over a decade and was the recipient of the UC Davis “Outstanding Service Award” for Inspiring a World of Learning, a mentor coach and instructor for the University of California at Davis Professional Coaching for Work and Life program, and program director and instructor of the UC Davis “Team Coaching for High-Value Results” program.